- Before Starting
- Install the App
- Add Redhot News to the Account Page Layout
- Add Redhot News to the Contact Page Layout
- Add Redhot News to your Home Page Layout
- Edit Profile Settings
- Additional Settings
- Test it Out
- Additional Resources
- If you’ve installed our in|force Connector, you can relax – this one is much easier and should just take a few minutes.
- You will need to be an administrator of your Salesforce Organization to perform the installation.
- Make sure that you’re using a Salesforce supported browser.
- All Salesforce editions from Group Edition up should work, and Redhot News is an Aloha App so will not add to any of your Salesforce limits.
Install the Application
- Navigate to the Redhot News listing on the AppExchange, or go to appexchange.com and search for Redkite or Redhot News.
- Click the Get It Now button.
- Confirm whether you are installing Redhot News in a Production or Sandbox environment, and follow the prompts to complete the install. If it prompts you to grant access to third parties (Google), click Yes.
- When the installation wizard asks you to choose a security level, we recommend that this be set to “Grant access to all users” (you can still control access by assigning different page layouts). We recommend this because Salesforce does not make it easy to go back and grant access to individual profiles at a later stage.
- On the final step of the wizard, click Install to begin the package installation.
If you get an error at this stage, try repeating it with the “Ignore Apex Test Errors” box checked and it should go through. This will not impact the behavior of the app.
- At this point, you’ll see one of two screens. If Salesforce is performing the install quickly you will see an “Install Complete” screen like the following:
Choose Deploy Now to complete the setup.
If the install is somewhat slower to complete, which can occur during Salesforce’s peak hours of usage, you may see the following screen:
In which case, you will be sent an email when the installation completes. After you receive this email, you should navigate to Setup | App Setup | View Installed Packages, click on the “Redhot News” link, and click Deploy. If you do not complete this step, the application will not work for all profiles.
- Review the components being deployed, and click the Deploy button.
Add the Redhot News component to the Account Page Layout
- Navigate to Setup | App Setup | Customize | Accounts | Page Layouts, and select the appropriate Account Page Layout and click Edit.
- Select Visualforce Pages in the left-hand menu of the top section. If you don’t see a Visualforce Pages section, then the application was probably not fully deployed – see above steps.
- Drag a new Section (from the right-hand side of the top section) down into the layout where you would like the Redhot News component to display.
- Enter the section name as Redhot News, select display on Detail Page only, select 1 Column layout, then click OK
- Drag and drop the Redhot News Visualforce page (from the right-hand side of the top section) into the newly created section.
- Next, configure how the Redhot News Visualforce component will display within your page layout by clicking on the settings icon at its top-right (visible when you hover your mouse over the Visualforce component).
- Enter the settings:
- Width: 100%
- Show scrollbars: checked
- Show label: unchecked
- Save the changes to the page layout.
- Repeat these steps for all Account Page Layouts that you wish to include Redhot News on.
Add the Redhot News component to the Contact Page Layout
Optionally, you can also include Redhot News on your Contact layouts. Obviously this will only be appropriate if your contacts are frequently in the news. Repeat the steps above for all Contact page layouts.
Add the Redhot News component to the Home Page Layout
- To add Redhot News to your home page, navigate to Setup | App Setup | Customize | Home | Home Page Layouts and click Edit.
- Under Select Wide Components to Show select Redhot News and click Next.
- Place Redhot News in the location you would like it to appear on your Home Page and click Save.
To make Redhot News work for all user profiles, there is an additional step. For each profile you want to have access, edit the profile (Setup | Manage Users | Profiles)
- Go to the Custom Object Permissions section
- Click the Modify All checkbox (right-most checkbox) for the following three objects
- News Feed Advanced Search
- News Feed Cache
- News Feed JSON
There are a few under-the-covers settings that can be tweaked. Any tweaks made here will affect all users. Note that not all of the configuration options are supported, so your milage may vary, but they are reasonably clearly labeled so you should be able to tell what each option does. A future release will have a custom configuration page included to make this more user-friendly.
- Navigate to Setup | App Setup | Develop | Custom Settings and select Manage next to the News Feed Configuration listing.
- Click Edit, change any settings and then Save.
Test it Out
Congratulations! You’re all set to begin using Redhot News. View an Account and you’ll see the latest news stories. Test it out and let your users know!
Redhot News; Google News; Installation Instructions; Support Guide; User Manual and Self-help. Set-up and Configuration settings.